Sunday, February 14, 2010

An introduction

I created Natives in Distress to highlight and get people interested in the plight of natives around the globe. In just about every part of the world there are native peoples who have, and continue to be, exploited, ignored, and subjected to unfair policies and social treatment. Although these peoples are of innumerable races, creeds, and backgrounds, their situations are similar in that they have all been debilitated by colonization and globalization.

Moving to Eastern Washington made me more interested in learning about Native Americans and native peoples in general. Having driven past reservations and small Native American settlements, I could help but notice how poor and destitute they all looked. Other things that have piqued my interest are simply movies: Little Big Man, Quigley Down Under, etc.

I want to learn more about the how globalization has affected natives around the world. Do they have any hope or are they just another oppressed group among others, and what makes their situation unique?

Here is a good article to get anyone interested started into the subject:
http://www.nativetimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3035:some-still-without-power-water-after-two-weeks&catid=54&Itemid=30
In case you don't have time to read it, however, it's about the lack of aid a South Dakota branch of the Lakota Sioux Nation have received after the recent debilitating snow storms in the area. This immediately reminded me of our class discussions on Haiti and Hurricane Katrina, but perhaps to a lesser extent in terms of the number of people affected.

Using this blog, I hope to learn more about the people that time and history seem to keep forgetting. If I write well and do my homework, I hope to get you interested too. Keep checking back for updates and new blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment